Wednesday 27 July 2011

Depression and Kiddlets

One of the rudest questions ever.... so when are you having children?  I know that it is not meant to be rude or hurtful, but it is to me. It feels like no one is even thinking about what is coming out of their mouths. What if I have been trying and not able to? Or just had a miscarriage? Or just don't want to have any? It is such a personal question, and should not be brought up in light conversation.
Being married for 6 years, you get this question a lot (no one asks Landon this question, well not as much as they ask me). Having children is such a huge responsibility, one that I personally feel for myself, that I am not able to give 100% (yet) having been battling with depression.  Depression and kids don't work for me, I know of some people who say that it has helped them.  When you can barely get out of bed, get dressed, hold down a job, cook and clean your house, or have any sort of social life adding a baby to that sort of life is like adding fuel to a fire. Both Landon and I feel very strongly about this, every piece of scientific research I have read says that severe maternal depression can have long term negative effects on the growth of children, both socially and physically.  So until I have been able to cope with my depression and I does not effect our lives there will be no babies coming into our lives.
I feel the desire everyday to add a child to our little family, often so bad it hurts (there have been many tears). So when you ask me when I am  having kids, I hurt, physically and mentally because I don't have an answer for you.  I love my future child too much to subject them to the life that we have lived with depression and haven't had enough time to know that the depression is not coming back to answer that question for myself let alone you.

3 comments:

  1. wow...
    well said.
    good luck again
    s.k.
    (queasy's mom(in-law)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, I was a little uncomfortable about writing about it. thanks for your encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have it as tough as you, but I understand.

    ReplyDelete